Commentary - I don’t understand why there’s a Tumblr of some chick with weird boobs posing naked with Magic cards.
In one post she’s like “look at this Myr plushie I made for my boyfriend! I can make one for you too and then take dirty pictures with it if you want.”
Why do you exist? Why do you and your ilk insist on undermining every female geek who just wants to be taken seriously as a (nerdy) human being?
I’m talking to you, girl who submitted “I hate when I’m not the only girl at a tournament” to MTG Confessions. You too, girl deliberately wearing a low-cut shirt to a Magic tournament.
If you spent nearly as much energy strategizing as you do trying to make yourself into a neon vagina sign, maybe you wouldn’t have to rely on your tits to get attention.
Oh, and to the girl who submitted the MTG Confession that she only started playing MTG because her guy friends wanted her to play the dumb bitch role at tournaments?
Get new friends.
MtGFan’s response: The girl in particular, actually makes a living (or supplements her living) though softcore camera shows. That’s a-okay, since she choose that particular path. No, what do people call it, “slut-shaming” here. She’s proud of her body and the idea that she plays Magic the Gathering, a game she enjoys and is willing to share. That’s absolutely within her right to do, and your right to complain about. Not taking a side on this subject, but rather a much bigger one:
The problem isn’t girls who show their boobs and play Magic the Gathering. The problem is when people think (or actively take part in) girls who play Magic the Gathering must be using their womanly physical charms on a mostly male audience.
This kind of sexism or discrimination has to stop. Much like how many of my friends who are women can’t use their voice on XBox LIVE without being called “a 12-year-old boy,” or being asked to “show us ur tits if you’re really a gurl.” That kind of behavior is immature and is something the rest of the gamer population need to stand apart from.
Remember, each person is a representative of the medium you happen to be partaking in. People should also be aware that just because so see a sample of the population doesn’t mean all of the population is that. Not all MtG female players show their breasts or are trying to captivate you. Not all MtG men are misogynistic douche bags. Every group has its vocal minority.
If you haven’t yet, read my article on Why Elitism Kills Games. A lot of the same logic can be applied here.
I encourage you to keep this conversation going through reblogs and replies at Disqus. I’d really like your feedback.
48 Notes/ Hide
- pomegranatesonapeachtree reblogged this from mtgfan
- lokilaughs reblogged this from mtgfan
- lokilaughs likes this
- gavrielle-mcdonald reblogged this from ianthe
- reib0t likes this
- adorkablekayla likes this
- sleepingwarrior28 likes this
- emiscoolerthanyou likes this
- suspicious-ham likes this
- prince-of-wweh reblogged this from ach-hans-run
- arockontopofthesand reblogged this from mtgfan and added:
- absence-of-faith likes this
- glimmerpost reblogged this from mtgfan and added:
- ach-hans-run reblogged this from mtgfan
- muscovy-duckov likes this
- mtgfan reblogged this from ianthe and added:
- wex likes this
- shallnotwant likes this
- longest-shadows-ever-cast reblogged this from mtgfan and added:
- jesus-jesse-and-me likes this
- tishrex likes this
- ianthe likes this
- acruelultimatum reblogged this from mtgfan and added:
- blackmarketshopkeeper likes this
- overzealous-amatory-geek reblogged this from mtgfan
- these-cardboard-devils likes this
- perpetualweirdo likes this
- aquickalias likes this
- beardapedia likes this
- guruthethird reblogged this from mtgfan and added:
- plnsfrstmtn reblogged this from ianthe and added:
- ghosturza likes this
- misery-loves-comedy likes this
- sageoflogic likes this
- beaularbear reblogged this from ianthe
- soundcheckyrself likes this
- ianthe posted this